Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Thin Mint Scones

Remember how I mentioned that Joe went crazy and bought a ton of Girl Scout cookies?  He bought a full case (12 boxes!) of Thin Mints and then a few random boxes of things that I like to make sure I get some.  Thoughtful, right? LOL

So, one of the things he asked me to do was to find some recipes that I could use Thin Mints in.  I've been sitting on this recipe from King Arthur for a little while, and it seemed easy enough to modify to work with Thin Mints instead of mini chocolate chips.

Here's the thing.  I made these last Sunday and have been sitting on this post ever since.  The scones didn't really quite come out the way I wanted them to, so I've been hesitant to share them.  But, I've decided that if I'm going to share the amazing things, I've gotta share some of the "meh" ones, too.

Let me clarify: these scones are not disgusting.  In fact, they're pretty good.  I should know, since I've been eating them for breakfast every day.  The only thing is... I guess I didn't modify the recipe quite enough, since they're not really that minty or that chocolatey.  One thing I think that got messed up was letting Joe crush the cookies - I suspect the pieces were too small, so the flavor didn't translate.  I also probably should have used more cookies than I did, since the recipe is designed to work with actual chocolate chips.  I probably should also have subbed at least one of the two teaspoons of vanilla for peppermint extract to give it a little more minty flavor.

I definitely want to try these again, but I think I should first make them as called for.  That way, I have some kind of baseline to work off of and know what to change around.

At any rate, here's the recipe:

Thin Mint Scones
To print this recipe, click here




Modified from King Arthur

Ingredients
2 3/4 c. flour, plus about 1/4 cup for kneading
1/3 c. sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into pats
1 roll (approx. 1 1/2 cups) Thin Mints or Keebler Grasshopper cookies, crushed
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup whole milk

Topping
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 c. sugar

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine dry ingredients and butter just until crumbly - some large chunks of butter will probably be unincorporated.

Stir in the crushed cookies. Add in the eggs, vanilla and milk.  Mix until all ingredients are combined and a dough forms.  You may want to switch to your dough hook attachment, but you don't have to.

Scrape the dough out onto a well-floured surface.  Pat or roll into a square that's about 8" and 3/4" thick.  Cut the square into 16 small squares.  Cut them again so you have about 30 smaller squares.  Mine were about 2" in size.

Transfer the squares onto a well greased cookie sheet.  The scones won't increase in size too much, so you should be able to crowd them and get them all on one large size cookie sheet.  Once they're all on the cookie sheet, put them into the freezer for about 30 minutes (longer is okay too).

Preheat the oven to 425°F.  Pull the scones from the freezer, brush each of them with the egg and then sprinkle them with sugar.  If you want them to have that really sugary look, use more sugar than you think is necessary - a lot of it will melt down while they're baking.

Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.

Yields approximately 30 scones.


 Do you see the box of Samoas in the background? :)

Overall, these were really good and with a few more modifications, I'd definitely make them again.

Have you ever made scones before? What kind do you like? How'd they come out? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment