Friday, January 3, 2014

Apple Pie


Alright, peeps (yes, I say "peeps" in real life, and not just when I'm talking about the marshmallows), I have a confession to make: the crust on this pie is not homemade.

I know, I know.  I tried to make it.  Twice, in fact.  The same crust recipe I use for my chicken pot pie, since it's just a basic pastry crust that can be used for anything.

This time, though, it failed me.  I'm not sure what happened.  My dough was really hard to roll out.  And I don't mean physically difficult, because I may be little but I'm pretty strong.  Seriously, though, the dough was very solid and tough, not doughy and stretchy at all.  If I really muscled and forced it, I could get it to stretch, but then it would rip.  I tried putting it in the bottom of the pan and stretching it out that way, since it's not like the bottom crust has to be pretty.  That sort of worked, but I ended up nixing that idea pretty quickly because there was some niggling thought in the back of my head that told me the crust just wasn't going to come out right.  Also, I really didn't want an apple crumble pie.

The only problem was that my oven was already preheating and my apples were already mixed and waiting to be poured into the crust.  So, I did what any self-respecting person does when they're having a minor kitchen emergency: I put on my sneakers and went to the grocery store in my pajamas to buy pre-made crust from the dairy aisle.

While that solved my immediate problem, it also gave me a new one.  HOW WAS THE PIE GOING TO TASTE? Having never used pre-made pie crust before, I was a little worried that it would *taste* like it came from a box or the store and not like it came out of my kitchen. So... I decided not to tell Joe.  And then I cut him a slice of pie and he ate it and said it was delicious, and I kept the crust a secret... until now.

Whatever - the pie was delicious and that's all that matters!

Also, I think I need a new pie crust recipe.  I'll probably do some Googling and figure one out myself, but if you have one, I'd love to see it!

Apple Pie Filling
6 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used Granny Smith & Macintosh)
2/3 c. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp corn starch
1 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice

Preheat oven to 425°F.  Lightly grease an 8" or 9" inch pie plate and set aside.

Press first pie crust into the bottom of the pie plate, leaving overhang.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix well, making sure all apples are evenly coated.

Pour into pie shell.  Top with second pie crust and crimp edges as desired. Cut slits in the top for ventilation.

Place pie plate on a baking sheet (this makes it way easier to handle!).  Bake for 40 minutes.  After 20 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for a couple of minutes, then cover edges with foil to prevent browning.  Return to oven and bake for remaining 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment