Sunday, February 8, 2015

Bridal Shower Cupcakes

No recipe for this one today, folks.  Just a nice little story and a few photos.

My friend Sarah is getting married in March.  On Pi day, in fact (that's 3/14/15 if you're wondering).  Sarah and I haven't been friends for super long - maybe about a year, give or take.  Actually, we met on our wedding planning website, Offbeat Bride (shameless plug).  I was on the local forums and she seemed cool, so we became Facebook friends so we wouldn't spam everyone else with our conversations.  And then we took a workout class and we got to be real life friends.

Funny how life works sometimes, isn't it?

She had mentioned her upcoming bridal shower a few times, but I didn't ask if there was anything I could do to help because I didn't want to be the asshole that assumed they were invited when they really aren't.

Then one day I got an email from one of her bridesmaids, asking me if I could make cupcakes for the party.  Alas, there was one little hitch - Sarah has asked that they look like a wedding dress.  I said I absolutely could do it, no sweat.  Then, I started Googling.

Thankfully, it was actually pretty easy.  I just had to make my cupcakes like normal and then arrange them into the shape of a wedding dress.  No problem, right?  HAHAHAHA.  Getting the shape right was about a million times harder than I had anticipated.  It got to the point where I was texting OTHER friends photos and asking if it looked the way it was supposed to.  One of my suuuuuper helpful friends even went so far as to say "sure... if they were white!" Thanks for that helpful advice, my dear (yeah, I'm looking at you).

Sarah's colors are blue and silver, but I knew I wanted to leave the frosting white.  I ended up getting a silver colored posterboard and a strand of blue adhesive gem thingies at the craft store.  The gems were on some flexible backing, so it was easy to shape them around the cupcakes to make it look like a sash.  I don't generally bake for complete strangers, so I was a little nervous but totally excited - this was my first real shot at making Elfie's Edibles an actual thing!  I definitely shouldn't have been, since everyone told me that they looked and tasted great.  For as quickly as they got gobbled up, I'm sure these were real compliments.

This was super fun and a little time consuming, but totally worth it.  Congratulations, Sarah (and Shawn)!





1 comment :

  1. Those are super cute. I think one of the issues with cute food items is that nobody wants to eat them! (My sister had cupcakes at her recent baby shower, bee-themed, and they were shaped like honeycomb. Everyone ate the normal cupcakes but nobody wanted to ruin the pretty picture.)

    ReplyDelete