Friday, March 1, 2013

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies

It's National Peanut Butter day!  OK, so I didn't know that was actually a thing until this morning, but I figured that it was perfect timing for me to post the peanut butter cup brownies I made.

For Christmas, Joe's sister got us a huge thing of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  I don't even know how to describe this to you, so I'll just show you a picture instead:

 photo 20130223_112859_zps79bc3b68.jpg

Can you see what it says on the package? That package has two HALF POUND peanut butter cups in it.  I bought Joe one of these for Christmas a couple years ago, and one peanut butter cup was still in the fridge.  He said it tasted amazing, but was basically impossible to eat.  ESPECIALLY because he's a genius and put it in the fridge in the first place (sarcasm). 

So, I had three of these things on hand and I wanted to do something with them.  I was originally thinking cookies, but then I decided that I hadn't made brownies in awhile, and there's not too many things that are better than a peanut butter brownie.  So, I chopped up one peanut butter cup and threw it in the brownie batter.  The result was just what I was looking for: a rich, chocolatey and chewy brownie with thick pockets of peanut butter throughout. They're sitting on the counter in the kitchen and I'm sitting here practically drooling as I write about them.

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
Modified from Hershey's
To print this recipe, click here

 photo 20130223_135033_zps631f14b7.jpg


3/4 c. Hershey's unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2/3 c. butter, melted and divided
1/2 c. boiling water
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.

In a large bowl, combine cocoa, baking soda and 1/3 cup butter.  Add boiling water and stir until mixture thickens.  Mix in sugar, eggs and remaining 1/3 cup butter; stir until smooth.  Add flour and vanilla and stir until thoroughly combined.  Fold in peanut butter cups.  Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake 30-35 minutes, until top edges of brownies begin to pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Cool in pan on wire rack.  Cut into squares.  Yields about 36 brownies (depending on size).


No comments:

Post a Comment