Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cinnamon Buns

Joe and I have a guilty pleasure: cinnamon buns.  Alas, over the last 8 years, cinnamon buns haven't quite reciprocated the love.  More times than not, our "let's have cinnamon buns!" turns into "well that was disappointing".  Usually, it's because they get burned, even when we follow the instructions on the Pillsbury tube TO.THE.LETTER.  Hell, we've even tried non-Pillsbury brand, thinking that somehow that was the problem.  We've only recently figured out how to make sure they come out delicious every time, but it requires a lot of babysitting.

Sick of the incessant teasing by cinnamon buns, I decided I'd show them who's boss and make them myself.  For some reason, I had always envisioned that making homemade cinnamon buns would be really difficult and time consuming.  I was right in that it's time consuming, but like with other yeast bread recipes, most of the time isn't active and I spend it doing other things or waiting for the dough to rise so I can get on with the next steps.

Regarding the difficulty level, I was way off base.  I actually told Joe that I thought making them from scratch was easier than opening the tube.  I'm probably exaggerating a little bit, but these were really easy.  Especially since I was able to use my KitchenAid to make the dough (thanks again, mom!).  You could easily mix the dough without a mixer (I've made bread dough by hand), but you'll want to start kneading by hand around cup 3 or 4.  I like to add the flour one cup at a time, and when making dough by hand, I've found that it's easier to put each cup in its own individual bowl (I use a cereal bowl, usually), so that everything is already measured and easy for me to deal with when my hands are sticky and covered with dough.

When I was looking online for ingredients/ratios to make the recipe, I saw that a lot of recipes called for overnight proofing in the fridge before baking.  I didn't do this because I made mine first thing in the morning, but you could certainly do that with this recipe as well.  Just make sure you cover the pan with plastic wrap and let the cinnamon buns come to room temperature before you bake them.  Either way, your house/kitchen will smell amazing and everybody will love you!  If you have leftover like I did, store them in an airtight container.  Pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds to warm them up and they'll get all gooey like when they were fresh.  Perfect breakfast with a cup of coffee!

Cinnamon Buns
To print this recipe, click here

 photo 20130304_070541_zps4201f879.jpg

For the dough:
1 package active dry yeast
1 c. warm milk
3 eggs
1/3 c. white sugar
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp. salt
4-5 c. flour, plus more for kneading

For the filling:
1 c. brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp cinnamon
4 Tbsp butter, melted

For the glaze:
1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
1-2 Tbsp. milk

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat paddle attachment, add yeast to the warm milk and let sit for 5 minutes, until foamy.  Add butter, sugar, eggs and salt.  Switch to the dough hook and add flour, one cup at a time, until you get a smooth and elastic, but not sticky, dough.  Depending on the size/capacity of your mixer, you may need to knead the dough by hand around cup 4.

Put the dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a plastic grocery store bag.  Let rise until doubled in size, approximately one hour.

Punch dough down and let rest for 10 minutes.  While you're waiting, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon.

On a well floured surface, roll the dough out into a large square or rectangular shape (mine was about 12" x 6", but the exact size here doesn't really matter - you just need to roll it out into something large enough for you to roll back up).  Brush the dough with the melted butter and top with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.


  photo 20130303_101248_zps96cae9f7.jpg

Starting with the long end, roll the dough into a cylinder.  Pinch the seam.  Leaving the seam side down, cut the log into equal size pieces.

 photo 20130303_101629_zpse8938bdb.jpg

Place each roll onto a greased cookie sheet about 1-2 inches apart.

 photo 20130303_102205_zps38112cd9.jpg

Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes, until light brown.  The filling will be melted and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.

 photo 20130303_104521_zpsa4521b6c.jpg

Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes.  Combine the glaze ingredients, then drizzle over top of the cinnamon buns.  Serve warm.

Yields 8-10 cinnamon buns, depending on size.

 photo 20130303_105010_zpsda581d82.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment